The term is often used to refer to the confection of party dresses made to size. The truth is that the real definition of Haute Couture is used with a lot more exclusivity in france.
You can only call Haute Couture those fashion firms who satisfy a set of high standards.
- Having two self owned workshops with twenty employees working full time.
- Every piece requires a minimum of at least two hundred hours of work.
- The designers must annually present two collections of at least thirty original designs for both night and day.
- The designs must be hand made with minimum intervention from sowing machines
- Whoever starts the piece must be the one to finish it.
In reality, few are the firms that form this super selective club. Among them is Chanel, Christian Dior, Valentino, and Jean Paul Gaultier.
What’s your favorite Haute Brand?
Source: Backstory Contents